Monday, June 28, 2010

Thomas Hardy - Hap

Hap means chance or luck in Old English, and in this poem Hardy seems to mock god (he does not capitalize this word in his poem). He has his god say, "Thou suffering thing, know that thy sorrow is my ecstasy, that thy love's loss is my hate's profiting!" He is exagerating what God is to him, this higher being that takes joy in your suffering and profits from your "love's loss." He is eased by the thought that a "Powerfuller than I had willed and meted me the tears I shed." So someone more Powerful than him (powerful is capitalized, unlike god, meaning he believes in a more powerful being but not the vengeful god that Christians have given light to) has given him tears, and he is eased, but not satisfied by that.

But in the third stanza he says, "But not so. How arrives it joy lies slain. And why unblooms the best hope ever sown?... Blisses about my pilgrimage as pain." Where I think he would accept a higher more powerful being is guiding his life, but really he believes he is in control of his own destiny and decisions are his free will. And if this causes him sorrow, he will have "Blisses" in his own "pain," because he knew that he had the decision to do so.

I can feel for this poet and poem because I have questioned the wrath of God while reading the bible or going to church and hearing the sermons about fire and brimstone. But I always take the easy road and say whatever brings people their faith is what should be good enough for them, don't knock someone when they are not knocking you. I do not judge people based on their faith, because I do not want faith to be my basis for existence.

2 comments:

  1. Jack,

    Some interesting speculation on Hardy's poem, and evidence of engagement with the text. Note that God is not speaking the quotation you cite; that for Hardy is part of the problem: he thinks an adversarial God of punishment would be some conciliation, since he could at least resist the tyrant, but instead God is silent and maybe, Hardy suspects, not present at all. The poem bemoans the absence of intelligent cause for the suffering in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote a post on this poem and didn't even notice the word "god" wasn't capitalized. I guess as an archaeology major I get so used to seeing it that way that it doesn't even register now! Great post! It is obvious that you do a lot of thinking after reading.

    ReplyDelete